[OpenIndiana-discuss] Seagate 3000GB Drive only shows 746GB

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Fri Sep 28 19:32:35 UTC 2012

Hi Rainer!

> This is a USB-attached drive
> (in a SATA/USB enclosure)

Are you sure the controller chip in your SATA/USB enclosure can
deal with more than 2TB of disk?

All such enclosures I have either truncate at 2TB or worse, they wrap
around.  A disk with 3000GB (decimal) will give you just short of
2794GB (binary), and wrapped around 2TB will give you 746GB.

So I am quite sure the controller chip in your enclosure is to blame.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"