[OpenIndiana-discuss] Seagate 3000GB Drive only shows 746GB

Marion Hakanson hakansom at ohsu.edu
Fri Sep 28 21:06:06 UTC 2012

rheilke at dragonhearth.com said:
> I'll see if I can swap the disk with one of my internals and see what
> happens.

I've also seen it happen that a disk got a reduced-size label (partition
table) on it, after which OI/Solaris continues to believe that layout info
until you somehow overwrite it.

You may be able to wipe the table by:
  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/c4t0d0s0 bs=512 count=1000

Then hot-plug the drive, or reconfigure-reboot to force the OS to
see the drive as a new one again.  Then a "zpool create" on c4t0d0
(without the "s0") might put a fresh EFI label on there.

Regards,

Marion