[OpenIndiana-discuss] USB mass storage equality or lack thereof

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 29 13:54:30 UTC 2012

--- On Sat, 9/29/12, Martin Bochnig <martin at martux.org> wrote:

> thanks for your mocking. It cannot harm. And often I wished,
> the dumb
> general society would mock a bit more against the military
> industrial
> complex and the banks.
> As written yesterday, I used Sol10 only half a year in it
> was the old

No mocking intended.  You are certainly correct about "format -e" which leaves me baffled.

Given what format(1m) does, the idea that it has an "expert" mode is a bit strange.  I could understand that "expert" mode might provide additional options. but the idea that format(1m) would *hide* certain devices unless you were in "expert" mode is bizarre.  However, it states it right there on the man page.

I never noticed it because when I was configuring the 3 TB disk I didn't have any USB media connected.  I didn't start using USB media until a few years ago.  Prior to that it was always floppies or 8mm tape.  Now I use it a lot to transfer between my OI internet system and the Solaris 10 working system which is on an isolated LAN.

The only thing I use rmformat(1) for is to get a list of devices for mounting non-ZFS filesystems.  I can't recall ever getting it to do anything else that was actually useful.
I've always used newfs(1m) or mkfs(1m) to create filesystems.  And in the case of FAT32, I've been forced to do that on Linux lately because neither OI nor Sol 10 could cope w/ a corrupted filesystem.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Reg