[OpenIndiana-discuss] USB mass storage equality or lack thereof

Martin Bochnig martin at martux.org
Sat Sep 29 16:09:41 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Reginald Beardsley <pulaskite at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Sat, 9/29/12, Martin Bochnig <martin at martux.org> wrote:
>

>> thanks for your mocking. It cannot harm. And often I wished,
>> the dumb
>> general society would mock a bit more against the military
>> industrial
>> complex and the banks.
>> As written yesterday, I used Sol10 only half a year in it
>> was the old
>
> No mocking intended.  You are certainly correct about "format -e" which leaves me baffled.
>
> Given what format(1m) does, the idea that it has an "expert" mode is a bit strange.  I could understand that "expert" mode might provide additional options. but the idea that format(1m) would *hide* certain devices unless you were in "expert" mode is bizarre.  However, it states it right there on the man page.

Well (or bad): Yes, you are absolutely right.
Certainly few outside Sun (this includes myself) understood things like that.
Didn't have Sun a talent in choosing completely crippled default
settings quite often.
Most users would never notice they were driving a Ferrari, because
Sun's defaults were often to simulate a Yugo.
Maybe we could build a summary list of such crippled commands, soon we
have Halloween.

Sun never listened!!!!!

During SunNetworkConference 2003 I told them that it wasn't the
smartest thing to do, if they had a normal generic DVD-ROM IDE-drive
for the Blade 150 on their price list as extra option (!) at 295,- EUR
(!!!).
Because the default setup of the Blade 150 costed "only" 1900 EUR and
had a "huge" 128MB of memory and just a CD drive. You know what they
replied: """WTW? No, Sir. We don't understand what you mean. And no
customer has ever complained."""
(Exactly: Because instead of complaining and writing long letters, we
all know what they have done: Dell ...)

Another such thing: Why didn't the U5/U10 get a usable IDE controller
with DMA, therefore the CMD/Sil649 ! No: They stuffed the crippled
CMD646 into it, with PIO modes only. Because they simply didn't want
to create competition to their SCSI based workstations, that were on
the list for up to 20.000,- $rather than just 5000,- $.

Why does the T1000 contain no USB at all?
Why has the U25 been crippled all that much (second cpu socket removed
during enginieering phase, according to sys_handbook, clock
artificially hardwired to 1.34 GHz, after they discontinued the III+
in 2006 and made that cancellation announcement with one and half a
year of delay).

And why was IPS implemented in Python?
And why did Sun make the brain-deadly dumb hopelessly overpriced
aqcuisitions directly in the peek of bubbles: Cobalt in September 2000
and StorageTek in 2005/06!
These 2 alone added together are responsible for 8 BILLION $$$ payments.

Ok ok, let Sun rest.
I really LOVED Sun.
And this is the damn reason why I criticized Sun.
Because it hurts to see, if a loved one commits suicide   (((((

--
%martin