[OpenIndiana-discuss] KVM or VirtualBox on Dell T420

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Apr 8 16:23:32 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-08 18:12, Jonathan Adams wrote:
> I rebooted and tried to install VirtualBox and it got to the point "Loading
> VirtualBox kernel modules..." then the system hung again.
>
> I now have a FUBAR'd box which needs a re-install ... and I would really
> like to know if anyone else got this working?

I think you can load an older BE or a live media, mount the "current"
BE, and pkgrm VirtualBox package from there? ;)

You might also try enabling kdb and verbosity (in GRUB) to review
what is loaded and where this really hangs.

Still, if both hypervisors have a problem, maybe there's something
wrong with the computer? Perhaps, VT-X not enabled in BIOS or wrong
implementation (i.e. BIOS/Firmware update or downgrade needed)?

Can there be any hypervisor between BIOS and OI which captures the
hardware acceleration features and nothing is left for your other
solutions?

My random 2c,
//Jim