[OpenIndiana-discuss] KVM or VirtualBox on Dell T420

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 16:31:32 UTC 2013

On 8 April 2013 17:23, Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> wrote:

> On 2013-04-08 18:12, Jonathan Adams wrote:
>
> I think you can load an older BE or a live media, mount the "current"
> BE, and pkgrm VirtualBox package from there? ;)

Yeah I know ... but since it only takes 10 mins to do a re-install I'd go
for that first ...

As it happens I can boot the VirtualBox be, but it's badly hung-over and
doesn't do nice things like DHCP by itself ...

> You might also try enabling kdb and verbosity (in GRUB) to review
> what is loaded and where this really hangs.

I will try that again, I tried modifying the system with the system
settings from the wiki for diagnosing system hangs, but it just hung :)

> Still, if both hypervisors have a problem, maybe there's something
> wrong with the computer? Perhaps, VT-X not enabled in BIOS or wrong
> implementation (i.e. BIOS/Firmware update or downgrade needed)?

brand new server arrived friday from Dell ... I could try that ... my boss
wants me to boot Ubuntu on it and try VirtualBox from there ...

Funnily enough he has managed to get VirtualBox working on Solaris10u11
(downloaded for personal use on a similar server in his own home) ...

Can there be any hypervisor between BIOS and OI which captures the
> hardware acceleration features and nothing is left for your other
> solutions?

Not that I'm aware of, and I've toggled pretty much everything in the BIOS
(with the exception of "Virtualization" which is enabled) with no success.

Hmm ...

Jon