[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS session collision

Sebastian Gabler sequoiamobil at gmx.net
Wed Apr 10 15:27:18 UTC 2013

Hello,

there is a reproducible issue I am seeing copying files over Solaris
CIFS (OI 151a) to Windows clients.

On the same client, I copy different large files from the same share
simultaneously in 2 sessions

Session 1  is established as \\myhostname\mysharename\file1
Session 2 is established as \\myip\mysharename\file2

myhostname can be properly resolved to myip.

As soon as I start Session 2, Session 1 is cut and the file copy is
aborted by Explorer. On Win7 I have the option to successfully resume
Session 1 after file 2 copy is finished.  In XP, the failure of Session
1 is permanent and I need to start from scratch.
Now, the point is that I cannot reproduce that when doing the same from
a SAMBA or Windows server. Here, both copy processes finish fine. So,
apparently the failure is raised in the client, but it depends on the
server to be triggered.

Does anybody have a clue what is the issue in the Solaris CIFS here, and
how it could be fixed? Also, I don't find any traces of the failure on
the OI machine so far. How would I monitor such events from the server
side, if at all possible?

Best regards,

Sebastian