[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZfS migration scenario including zvols

Sebastian Gabler sequoiamobil at gmx.net
Wed Apr 10 18:52:52 UTC 2013

I am planning to restructure one of the zpools on my file server,
re-organizing the vdevs. The process will draw upon zfs send | zfs recv
forth and back to another local zpool.
The zpool in question contains (nested) file sets and zvols. Some of the
file sets will remain on the other pool to maximise remaining capacity
on the new pool that will be 10% smaller than it is now. These file sets
I have already started to migrate, and it worked fine. I decided to move
the mountpoints, but retain the share points which due to zfs features
is a breeze.
The rest will temporarily be shifted starting with 'pool1/',  to
'pool2/temp/*'.  Are there any hints what I should take into account to
retain all object parameters once pool1 is back?
Obviously I will unmount the iSCSI targets pointing at the zvols in the
meantime on the respective initiators, and shut down the machines
hanging on the nfs- exported file sets. Anything else?

Thanks for your helpful hints in advance.

BR

Sebastian