[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZfS migration scenario including zvols

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Thu Apr 11 01:22:27 UTC 2013

> From: Sebastian Gabler [mailto:sequoiamobil at gmx.net]

Be careful, there are lots of ways to screw this up.  Fortunately, not many of them result in data loss or anything like that.  Just bad behavior.

Specifically, I thinking, you want to send including properties, to preserve the nfs & iscsi properties, etc.  But unfortunately, you don't want to send with properties, which also preserves the mountpoint.  So the receiving filesystem fails to mount, and then ... I don't know what.  Perhaps you have to export both pools and re-import, or manually tweak the mountpoints on the recipient filesystem...

Um ... Also, most likely since you have nested filesystems, each of them has been able to snapshot separately from each other.  The list of snapshots is probably not 100% identical on all filesystems, which means, if you try to do the recursive+recursive incremental send from the root, it will fail.  The *easiest* thing to do is simply take a recursive snapshot now, and send a recursive stream based on that, but you'll give up snapshot history.  The *best* thing would be to handle each filestem/zvol individually, so you can do the recursive incremental (without going recursive filesystems.)

I recommend looking at the list of zfs properties on your datasets, and think about which ones you want to preserve, and which ones you don't.