[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZfS migration scenario including zvols

Sebastian Gabler sequoiamobil at gmx.net
Sat Apr 13 15:37:51 UTC 2013

Hi Jim and Edward,

thanks for your comments.

Taking them into account, I decided to apply the following method:

- clean up, that is all the file sets that should remain on the other
pool in the future have been migrated using zfs send | receive. That
worked well. Mount points were moved (the only local service using them
is rsync, config is easy to update), share points were kept.
- make sure that none of the data sets is currently mounted externally
(because I can: I have a service window that should be large enough.)
- iron out all existing snapshots (I can, because I don't have to keep them)
- make a list of the properties of each data set node. (pool.list;
nfs.list; iscsi.list; smb.list; nfs_filsetxx.list; iscsi_filesetxx.list;
smb_.filesetxx.list) Each text file contains on child exactly. nfs,
iscsi, and smb are the root branches.
- snapshot -r each of the main branches (important)
- zfs send mainbranch at 1 -R > /pool2/mainbranch.dmp for each nfs, iscsi, smb
- destroy pool1, and apply the new vdev layout under the old name
- zfs create pool1/mainbranch for each nfs, iscsi, smb
- cat /pool2/mainbranch.dmp | zfs recv -d pool1/mainbranch

Guess that will work. In case of doubt, I should be able to fix
deviating file set properties manually.

What I already found out is that there are some niggles with Comstar.
So, I had to destroy the luns in sbdadm to be able to destroy the parent
zvols. I dumped the parameters before doing that, so I hope that I will
be able to get them back without too many complications.

Thanks again for your help.

Sebastian