[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI, NFSv4 and idmapd

Peter Wood peterwood.sd at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 18:13:37 UTC 2013

I'm using OI 151.a.7 to export a dataset via NFS and mount it on CentOS5.9
clients using NFSv4.

On the clients I have apache running as user daemon and it needs access to
the exported directory.

Then problem is that user daemon on CentOS5 has UID=2 and on OI has UID=1.

On the clients when I write a file as user daemon it shows with ownership
user bin. That wouldn't bother me but I also have some perl scripts running
as user daemon that access files in this directory. Perl modules are doing
tests before they write to a directory and when the OS reports user bin
ownership then perl scripts error out with permissions denied.

I tried to configure idmapd user mapping so it will show user damon
ownership on the clients but with no success.

Anyone has experience with idmapd? Is this doable?

Do I need idmapd running on the OI server?

All I can find on the Internet is how to get idmapd work where users have
the same ID on the NFS server and the client.

Thanks,

-- Peter