[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI, NFSv4 and idmapd

Marcel Telka marcel at telka.sk
Wed Apr 17 19:26:25 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 11:13:37AM -0700, Peter Wood wrote:
> I'm using OI 151.a.7 to export a dataset via NFS and mount it on CentOS5.9
> clients using NFSv4.
>
> On the clients I have apache running as user daemon and it needs access to
> the exported directory.
>
> Then problem is that user daemon on CentOS5 has UID=2 and on OI has UID=1.
>
> On the clients when I write a file as user daemon it shows with ownership
> user bin. That wouldn't bother me but I also have some perl scripts running
> as user daemon that access files in this directory. Perl modules are doing
> tests before they write to a directory and when the OS reports user bin
> ownership then perl scripts error out with permissions denied.

This is most likely scenario:

The file is created with uid passed in the RPC layer, which is UID=2 in your
case (I assume you are using AUTH_SYS). UID=2 at OI is 'bin' (see /etc/passwd).
During the readdir operation, the NFSv4 server takes the string for the
username (bin) of the file and transfers it to the client as a string. The
client will translate the 'bin' to its local uid (which is probably UID=1 at
CentOS).

> I tried to configure idmapd user mapping so it will show user damon
> ownership on the clients but with no success.
>
> Anyone has experience with idmapd? Is this doable?
>
> Do I need idmapd running on the OI server?

idmapd is not related to NFS. It is CIFS stuff.