[OpenIndiana-discuss] vdev reliability was: Recommendations for fast storage

Sebastian Gabler sequoiamobil at gmx.net
Thu Apr 18 10:46:49 UTC 2013

Am 18.04.2013 03:09, schrieb openindiana-discuss-request at openindiana.org:
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 13:21:08 -0600
> From: Jan Owoc<jsowoc at gmail.com>
> To: Discussion list for OpenIndiana
> 	<openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>
> Subject: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Recommendations for fast storage
>
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Timothy Coalson<tsc5yc at mst.edu>  wrote:

>> >Did you also compare the probability of bit errors causing data loss
>> >without a complete pool failure?  2-way mirrors, when one device completely
>> >dies, have no redundancy on that data, and the copy that remains must be
>> >perfect or some data will be lost.  On the other hand, raid-z2 will still
>> >have available redundancy, allowing every single block to have a bad read
>> >on any single component disk, without losing data.  I haven't done the math
>> >on this, but I seem to recall some papers claiming that this is the more
>> >likely route to lost data on modern disks, by comparing bit error rate and
>> >capacity.  Of course, a second outright failure puts raid-z2 in a much
>> >worse boat than 2-way mirrors, which is a reason for raid-z3, but this may
>> >already be a less likely case.
> Richard Elling wrote a blog post about "mean time to data loss" [1]. A
> few years later he graphed out a few cases for typical values of
> resilver times [2].
>
> [1]https://blogs.oracle.com/relling/entry/a_story_of_two_mttdl
> [2]http://blog.richardelling.com/2010/02/zfs-data-protection-comparison.html
>
> Cheers,
> Jan

Notably, Richard's models posted do not include BER. Nevertheless it's
an important factor. From the back of my mind it will impact reliability
in different ways in ZFS:

- Bit error in metadata (zfs should save us by metadata redundancy)
- Bit error in full stripe data
- Bit error in parity data

AFAIK, a bit error in Parity or stripe data can be specifically
dangerous when it is raised during resilvering, and there is only one
layer of redundancy left. OTOH, BER issues scale with VDEV size, not
with rebuild time. So, I think that Tim actually made up a valid point
about a systematically weak point of 2-way mirrors or raidz1 on in vdevs
that are large in comparison to the BER rating of their member drives.
Consumer drives have a BER of 1:10^14..10^15, Enterprise drives start at
1:10^16.
I do not think that zfs will have better resilience against rot of
parity data than conventional RAID. At best, block level checksums can
help raise an error, so you know at least that something went wrong. But
recovery of the data will probably not be possible. So, in my opinion
BER is an issue under ZFS as anywhere else.

Best,

Sebastian
PS: I occurred to me that WD doesn't publish BER data for some of their
drives (at least all I have searched for while writing this). Anybody
happens to be in possession of full specs for WD drives?