[OpenIndiana-discuss] Problem with Dell iDRAC

Kris Henriksson kth48 at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 22 19:20:16 UTC 2013

I've been having a long-standing issue with using the iDRAC on my
server with OpenIndiana, and I thought before giving up completely, I
could try asking the mailing list. The problem is that the iDRAC is
completely inaccessible while OpenIndiana is running.

The system is a Dell PowerEdge T610, with Dell iDRAC 6 Express. If I
run Linux on it, the iDRAC can be accessed just fine, and before
OpenIndiana has started booting, I can access it, but with OI running
it is inaccessible. The DRAC shares a physical network port with the
OS, but has a separate MAC address and independent network traffic.

One effect of this is that the DRAC cannot get an IP address from
DHCP. Monitoring network traffic from another machine, I can see the
DHCP requests going out (so I can assume outgoing traffic is okay).
Running tcpdump back on the OI machine I don't see the outgoing DHCP
requests, but I see the incoming replies. However, it appears the
replies are not being received by the iDRAC.

I am not very familiar with Solaris, and so I'm somewhat out of my
element. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would greatly
appreciate it. I could not find any record of such a problem with
repeated Google searching, so I'm perplexed.

Thanks,
Kris Henriksson