[OpenIndiana-discuss] Recreate /dev/null

Martin Bochnig martin at martux.org
Thu Apr 25 11:48:47 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Richard Jones <
openindiana-discuss at jonze.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've overwritten /dev/null and can't seem to recreate it, can anyone
> help?
>
> Booting to milestone "milestone/single-user:default".
> hostname: wilson
> Requesting System Maintenance Mode
> SINGLE USER MODE
>
> Enter username for system maintenance (control-d to bypass): root
> Enter root password (control-d to bypass):
> single-user privileges assigned too root on /dev/console.
> Entering System Maintenance Mode
>
> Apr 25:1043:39 su: 'root' succeeded for root on /dev/console
> # devlinks
> ^C # times out
> # devfsadm
> devfsadm: cannot create link: /dev/null -> ../devices/pseudo/mm at 0:null.
> max attempts exceeded
> # ls /dev/null
> ls: cannot access /dev/null: No suh file or directory
> # ln -s /devices/pseudo/mm at null /dev/null
> ln: creating symbolic link `/dev/null': No such file or directory.
> #
>
> Currently a *lot* of system services won't run as a result of this. This
> box is a fairly recent install so it's not too bad an option to
> reinstall though it is work I'd rather avoid if possible.

Hi,

Solaris forbid, I'm on a Win7 Laptop here (didn't delete/reinstall it yet,
just bought it used on ebay). So I have to guess:
Go to /lib/svc/method. Then look for a script called something like
devices-local and run it, maybe with -x for verbosity. If it still doesn't
work, figure out which other script makes more sense. From memory I cannot
say, if it was devices-local or rather a fs-* one.

Did you already post the output of svcs -xv ?

%martin