[OpenIndiana-discuss] About zpools and usage plan

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sat Aug 3 03:08:20 UTC 2013

Looking for a little advice about setting up a home lan server.

So far just tinkering with a vbox oi as guest install hoping to make
whatever nasty blunders on disposable data and OS.

But getting right to it:

In a previous life I ran oi and used mirrored sets of discs for
everthing.

Mirrored OS discs, and 2 sets of mirrored data discs.

I was advised back then that mirrored sets of discs, given  my small
usage, would be the most secure (not meaning agains penitration or the
like...just keeping data from loss) and handiest way to handle my home
lan.

So, wondering what the current thinking is?  Like say, mirrored as
opposed to a collection of discs in raidz or whatever its called.

My needs will be well handled by something like 3tb of storage so
something like 6 1tb discs for a mirrored setup.

What else could I get with those 6 disks in terms of redundancy and ease
of maintenance?