[OpenIndiana-discuss] About zpools and usage plan

David Scharbach david.scharbach at mac.com
Sat Aug 3 17:28:49 UTC 2013

I use Raid-Z2 for my main array.  6 disks would give you effectively 4 disks usable with the ability to tolerate ANY 2 disk failures.  Mirroring would allow for 3 disk failures ONLY if the failures were in different sets, if I understand mirroring correctly.  There is a risk that the right 2 failures could cause the entire array to be pooched.

Regardless, BACKUP you data regularly.  Do not rely on your production to keep data safe.  I have 2 arrays in my server, an 8 disk RaidZ2 and a 4 disk simple array.  I was to lame to figure out replication so I fell back on an rsync script to ensure my data is in two places.  In a perfect world, I would have it in 2 different physical boxes in different locations but anything of real value is also stored in the cloud (Wuala).

Cheers,