[OpenIndiana-discuss] About zpools and usage plan

Martin Frost me at cs.Stanford.EDU
Sat Aug 3 20:45:54 UTC 2013

David, your advice to back up data regularly is good, but rsync'ing
from one array to another is not the same as backing up.  I don't know
how often you rsync, but right after you do, you can't restore a file
you accidentally deleted or clobbered yesterday.  At most you have one
previous version of the dataset available.

Although it doesn't sound like you do, maybe you use ZFS's snapshots
on one of these arrays.  That can provide good backups that date
back over some amount of time, depending on available disk space for
retaining the snapshots.  Ideally you would create snapshots on the
main array and use 'zfs send' to copy them to the backup array, or
at least create snapshots on the backup array before or after each
rsync from the main array.

Martin