[OpenIndiana-discuss] Unmount DVD from GUI fails with oi_151a8

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Tue Aug 20 20:31:54 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 09:59:52PM +0200, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> On 20/08/2013 15:21, Gary Mills wrote:
> >
> >I thought that /usr/lib/pm-launch was the way to run commands as
> >root from the Gnome menus.  It prompts for the administrator account
> >and password.  Does this no longer work under oi_151a8?
> >
> The only way to circumvent this is using sudo, which is a bit
> difficult to use in menus (as gksu -S -u root), I tried, but
> somehow it fails to get the password window open.

Won't gksu use su instead of sudo if you give it the right options?

I don't use sudo, but when I tried:

    /usr/lib/pm-launch /usr/bin/packagemanager &

in a terminal window as an ordinary user, under oi_151a8, it brought
up the package manager GUI running as root.  It didn't prompt me for
either the user name or password, though.