[OpenIndiana-discuss] Unmount DVD from GUI fails with oi_151a8

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Thu Aug 22 08:20:47 UTC 2013

On 20/08/2013 22:31, Gary Mills wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 09:59:52PM +0200, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
>> On 20/08/2013 15:21, Gary Mills wrote:
>>>
>>> I thought that /usr/lib/pm-launch was the way to run commands as
>>> root from the Gnome menus.  It prompts for the administrator account
>>> and password.  Does this no longer work under oi_151a8?
>>>
>> The only way to circumvent this is using sudo, which is a bit
>> difficult to use in menus (as gksu -S -u root), I tried, but
>> somehow it fails to get the password window open.
>
> Won't gksu use su instead of sudo if you give it the right options?
>
> I don't use sudo, but when I tried:
>
>      /usr/lib/pm-launch /usr/bin/packagemanager &
>
> in a terminal window as an ordinary user, under oi_151a8, it brought
> up the package manager GUI running as root.  It didn't prompt me for
> either the user name or password, though.

Indeed you can use gksu on the commandline, but the problem
is that the menu entries run on the underlying shell where
Gnome was started.
So 'gksu /usr/bin/packagemanager' seemingly works, but if you
look into your .xession-errors file, you see that it cannot
contact the gconf server, which may or may not have impact,
this depends on use of a proxy for outside connections, as
the proxy configuration is drawn from the gconf server
(same is done in the python script /usr/lib/pm-launch).
I think Milan Jurik found a way to work around that problem.