[OpenIndiana-discuss] redo size of rpool

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Aug 29 18:25:22 UTC 2013

I recently did an attempt at mirroring my zpool.  It came out like it
was supposed to and I was able to boot off the mirror so I guess I got
it right.

Now I need to enlarge the rpool. I've seen at least one mention on
google of doing that by adding another mirror to zpool but a bigger
disc. Let it silver, make it bootable, then detach it and boot from
it. Once its booted I guess I can use something like `autoexpand' to
make the pool grow to fit the bigger disk.

I'd like to know if that general plan is something that is likely to
work or just make a big mess.

Also wondering when I detach the new bigger bootable disc, how do I
tell the OS not to boot off one of the existing mirrored pair of
original rpool discs.

Probably something I should know... but thinking about it I'm just
drawing blanks.

Another thing I wondered is since I'm planning to add a mirror to this
new bigger disc anyway... so should I do that right at the same time
to avoid having no mirror for some amount of time.