[OpenIndiana-discuss] redo size of rpool

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Aug 29 20:29:15 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-29 20:25, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Now I need to enlarge the rpool.

Are you sure? :)

There are some benefits to having rpool separate from a data pool,
even if on the same disks (for example, you can add cache and log
devices to a data pool, while options are limited for an rpool).
Also they live different lives, with rpool usually seeing less
write-activity and thus it is less exposed to potential damage
as well as fragmentation, over-filling (though you can preemptively
compensate with quotas and reservations) and other breakage causes.

> Also wondering when I detach the new bigger bootable disc, how do I
> tell the OS not to boot off one of the existing mirrored pair of
> original rpool discs.

I believe that when you use detach, the other disk is no longer
considered a pool - it is just an unused disk. So even if a GRUB
lives there, it should find the last disk actually remaining in
the pool as the one holding the rpool.

> Another thing I wondered is since I'm planning to add a mirror to this
> new bigger disc anyway... so should I do that right at the same time
> to avoid having no mirror for some amount of time.

I am not sure I understand the question... You can go with a 3-way
mirror for a while and then detach the smaller disk. Is this it?

HTH,
//Jim