[OpenIndiana-discuss] re-install grub [SOLVED]

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Aug 30 08:09:25 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-30 10:01, axelle_apvrille at yahoo.fr wrote:
> Hi Collin,
>>
>> Is your bios definitely set up to boot from that disk?  It's possible
>> that
>> your linux grub is actually on the other drive.
>
> Oops... how stupid indeed! The 2nd disk was booting first :(
> I've found my opensolaris grub waiting for me on the right disk...

D'oh :)

> I'll now need to work out how to have Linux/Windows/OpenIndiana on the
> same grub, but I've seen docs about that.

OI and Windows is relatively simple, via chainloading.
OI and recent Linux (with GRUB2, or rather new filesystems not
supported by OI's version of GRUB) - this may be more tricky.
I think chainloading failed that time for me when I tried,
but this attempt was long ago and I am not certain of its
details now. Possibly you'd need to stack another "external"
bootloader in MBR that would chainload OI or Linux or Windows.

Don't exclude the possibility of that loader being the Windows
MBR block and NTLDR - at least, that way a future Windows OS
upgrade won't destroy your ability to boot, again :)

//Jim