[OpenIndiana-discuss] re-install grub [SOLVED]

Jean-Pierre jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Fri Aug 30 09:27:39 UTC 2013

axelle_apvrille at yahoo.fr wrote:
> Hi Collin,
>>
>> Is your bios definitely set up to boot from that disk? It's possible that
>> your linux grub is actually on the other drive.
>
> Oops... how stupid indeed! The 2nd disk was booting first :(
> I've found my opensolaris grub waiting for me on the right disk...
>
> I'll now need to work out how to have Linux/Windows/OpenIndiana on the
> same grub, but I've seen docs about that.

I do have a working configuration with triple boot
Windows, Linux (grub2) and OpenIndiana (old grub) on
the same internal disk (I have all my user files :
office files, documentation, source code, etc.) on
a single NTFS partition used by the three systems
with interoperable ownership and permissions.

If possible, install OpenIndiana last. Its grub can
boot Windows and Linux. Before installing OpenIndiana
save grub.cfg from the grub2 installed by Linux
You just have to insert entries for Windows and Linux in
/rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst (save the original one)

For Windows :
title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

For Linux : get a couple of consecutive lines from
grub.cfg beginning with "linux" and "initrd".
Replace the linux header by "kernel" and insert
both lines in the menu.lst of OpenIndiana, so :

title Linux
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz... (copy the full line)
    initrd  /boot/initramfs... (copy the full line)

Now, if you install Linux after OpenIndiana,
first copy the MBR created by OpenIndiana, then
install Linux, then copy its grub.cfg, then
overwrite the MBR by the one from OpenIndiana
and apply the procedure above.

The main problem when installing OpenIndiana,
is that it delete the partition beyond the
ninth one during the install, and you have to
recreate them after OpenIndiana is installed.