[OpenIndiana-discuss] redo size of rpool

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sat Aug 31 01:54:51 UTC 2013

Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> writes:

> No, I believe that if you "zfs detach" the bigger disk, it would become
> an ex-member of a pool, but not importable as a pool. See "zfs split"
> for a way to make independent pools by breaking up a mirror, but note
> that I've only heard of this tool mode and did not actually use it :)

Oh yes, that is what you explained before... sorry I said that
backwards ... If I were to detach the smaller discs, then that would
leave the bigger disk to boot off of...

> If this works the way I expect of it, then you'd be able to make a pool
> made of the big disk and then autoexpand (or possibly "zfs attach -e")
> to its whole size. It is possible that in order for expansion to happen
> you'd also have to use "format" and/or "fdisk" to make sure that the
> big disk's MBR partition and s0 slice cover as much space as they can
> (i.e. not in a layout identical to the one on two smaller disks).

Right now, I have a worse problem... maybe you can guide me on it.

I'm not sure what is causing boot attempts to end up at the welcome
screen where you login and my user can no longer login... The
password is seen as wrong or something.

I suspect it is the result of allowing the rpool to become too full.

I was getting syslog messages in my xterms that it was over 95% full
right before I shut down.

So, maybe I can do something tricky during boot to get to the single
user, or maintenance more, or whatever its called, long enough to
attempt increasing the rpool disc size  If so, I'm not
finding it with google, and the openindiana wiki is totally silent on
it... or so it seems.

Maybe I can edit something at the grub boot screen or such?

How can I get booted in some mode where I can try to enlarge the
rpool?