[OpenIndiana-discuss] redo size of rpool

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat Aug 31 03:54:12 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-31 03:54, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Oh yes, that is what you explained before... sorry I said that
> backwards ... If I were to detach the smaller discs, then that would
> leave the bigger disk to boot off of...

Yes, that should also work :)

> So, maybe I can do something tricky during boot to get to the single
> user, or maintenance more, or whatever its called, long enough to
> attempt increasing the rpool disc size  If so, I'm not
> finding it with google, and the openindiana wiki is totally silent on
> it... or so it seems.
>
> Maybe I can edit something at the grub boot screen or such?

Yes, you can try adding "-s" to the kernel "command-line" in GRUB,
and this should boot you into single-user mode, where "root" is
regarded as an interactive user (with password) and not a role.

Alternately, you can boot from Live media (installer), then run
# zpool import -R /a -N -f rpool

This allows you to clean up obsolete snapshots, expand the pool, etc.

You can mount the filesystem, like
# zfs mount rpool/ROOT/openindiana

It would likely appear as "/a" in the Live filesystem; then you
can edit files on this pool and perhaps wipe the user's password
or insert the cryptext from some other source (i.e. /etc/shadow
of live media, with known password for "jack:jack" and such).

When done, don't forget to
# zpool export rpool

So that you can properly boot off it.

HTH,