[OpenIndiana-discuss] redo size of rpool

Bryan N Iotti ironsides.medvet at runbox.com
Sat Aug 31 08:40:16 UTC 2013

I had an inverse problem, moving rpool to smaller (but faster) disks . In the end, I did a send/receive operation after properly formatting the receiving drives.

I got the procedure from here:
https://blogs.oracle.com/mock/entry/how_to_shrink_a_mirrored

and it's been working well. My train of thought is that you could:

- modify your VBox config for the VM by adding one of the larger disks.
- boot from OI live media
- do the ZFS send/receive from the old disks to the new ones
- shutdown the VM
- remove the old disks from the VM
- boot from the new ones

I'm not sure about this, but I thought the "autoexpand" feature only works on data pools, where you're using the whole disk.

Again, my 2ç, hope this helps.

   Bryan