[OpenIndiana-discuss] X11 memory use

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 9 17:29:15 UTC 2013

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the memory demands?  I'm using the nvidia server.

With a single terminal window and Firefox running I have 162 MB of 1983 MB free.  The X server is consuming 350+ MB w/ Firefox and gnome consuming the rest. Having built and run X on SPARC 1+ systems, this seems a pretty sad state of affairs.  The memory consumption  and the performance are both much worse.

I don't want desktop icons, multiple desktops, decorative rectangles when I close a window, etc.  I'd prefer to run twm, but I'm pretty sure Firefox won't like that, so I haven't tried.