[OpenIndiana-discuss] X11 memory use

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Mon Dec 9 17:39:46 UTC 2013

On 09/12/2013 18:29, Reginald Beardsley wrote:
> Is there anything that can be done to reduce the memory demands?  I'm using the nvidia server.
> With a single terminal window and Firefox running I have 162 MB of 1983 MB free.
 > The X server is consuming 350+ MB w/ Firefox and gnome consuming the rest.

Firefox and Thunderbird are know memory hogs, I don't know why
they want to cache all and everything (performance ?), but, compared
to my old mosaic browser, it's unbelievably much for simple html
pages....
And, of course, every picture firefox generates and caches is also
cached in Xorg...
But, compared to other memory hogs (why does a simple clock need
40+MB ???), they can even be called memory-efficient....

Seriously, today's desktops come with 12 GB or more, so I don't
think there's a serious to dig into that deeply. Ram is cheap,
so buy some.
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski    Inst.f.Meteorology a.Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php