[OpenIndiana-discuss] X11 memory use

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 9 18:25:32 UTC 2013

In general I would agree, but in this case I use a dual core Atom w/ 2 GB of DRAM for my internet access.    Increasing the memory is not an option as it is maxed out.  My main system no longer connects to the internet and this is a compromise to minimize the power consumption entailed in running two systems.

FWIW X was a memory hog even 20 years ago.  I suspect much of the memory consumption now is the tables of function pointers needed to implement objects.  As the class structures get more elaborate, the memory consumed grows at an astonishing rate.  Foolish caching policies just make a bad situation worse.  And never underestimate the damage  a programmer can cause using a poorly designed library.  I've seen N panels drawn on screen by drawing one, clearing it, drawing two, clearing both, drawing three, etc until N panels have been drawn.  This was done by people who were regarded as experts and paid accordingly.