[OpenIndiana-discuss] X11 memory use

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 9 20:21:38 UTC 2013

This is  memory resident as reported by top.  Obviously not as accurate as other means, but sufficient for this discussion.  Use of memory for buffers is not the same as consuming it for applications and other features for which I have no use.

The documentation for X is rather vast and never was well done in my view.  I'm hoping Alan or someone else who currently works a lot w/ X can point me to options that will reduce some of the bloat.  I used to know such things, but that was long ago when I built X & Motif from source as part of my job.  None of the things on the preferences menu helps.  In fact, even though I have selected "no effects" I still get lots of rectangles drawn on screen when I iconify a window.  At a minimum it's a waste of machine cycles and if it's being double buffered, a good bit of DRAM also.