[OpenIndiana-discuss] X11 memory use

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Dec 9 20:24:33 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-09 18:29, Reginald Beardsley wrote:
> Is there anything that can be done to reduce the memory demands?  I'm using the nvidia server.
>

> With a single terminal window and Firefox running I have 162 MB of 1983 MB free.  The X server is consuming 350+ MB w/ Firefox and gnome consuming the rest. Having built and run X on SPARC 1+ systems, this seems a pretty sad state of affairs.  The memory consumption  and the performance are both much worse.
>
> I don't want desktop icons, multiple desktops, decorative rectangles when I close a window, etc.  I'd prefer to run twm, but I'm pretty sure Firefox won't like that, so I haven't tried.

I did use (bundled) Firefox that was provided with various Solaris
builds from TWM desktops (via VNC) and they did work for browsing.
No fancy video/sound/voice of course.

I am not sure if this holds for recent releases, but won't really
be surprised if they'd work in TWM. Or if they won't... either :)

//Jim