[OpenIndiana-discuss] X11 memory use

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 10 05:10:44 UTC 2013

Knowing precisely how much memory is being used is not particularly useful unless you're writing code.    At 1600x1200x32 bit, a full screen buffer is ~8 MB.  That's a very long way from 300+ MB.

I'm looking for pointers to any server or client options that will reduce the memory usage.  Are there any?  For example, how do I turn off the 3 work spaces I'm not using? The man pages I've read are not particularly informative on the topic.  If anyone has written up how to ditch gnome I'd love to know about it.  I suspect that would help a lot.