[OpenIndiana-discuss] X11 memory use

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Dec 10 05:14:49 UTC 2013

On 12/ 9/13 09:10 PM, Reginald Beardsley wrote:
> I'm looking for pointers to any server or client options that will reduce the memory usage.  Are there any?

Sorry, there's no magic "do more with less" option for the X server.

> For example, how do I turn off the 3 work spaces I'm not using? The man pages I've read are not particularly informative on the topic.

That's a feature of your window manager - in GNOME, right click on the
workspace switcher in the panel, select preferences, and change the
number of workspaces there.  In other WM's, look for similar prefs or
read their docs.   (Most desktop environments & window managers these
days have more extensive docs in their online help and websites than
in their man pages.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com