[OpenIndiana-discuss] Zpool crashes system on reboot and import

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Dec 12 04:14:47 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-11 21:41, CJ Keist wrote:
> Jim,
>     Thank you so much for this help.  Can you explain a little about
> what this does?  The man page for zpool doesn't mention the -N flag at
> all under import.

Yes, I think I posted a bug about lack of this documentation...
https://www.illumos.org/issues/2598

The flag causes "zpool import" to exit after the pool has been
just imported, and not proceed to the equivalent of "zfs mount -a"

 > Also I see in man page the -R sets the cachefile to
> none (understand that), and the altroot to "root"(don't understand
> this).  What is the "-R /" doing?

Just as you explained - it removes usage of the cachefile and sets
the altroot to filesystem root (the default value), so that any
mounted filesystems are at their usual locations (otherwise the
value of "altroot" is prefixed to all zfs mounts from this pool,
which is useful to avoid conflicts with foreign pools, or attacks
from removable media, for example).

In effect, it is a convenient shorthand not to type the monstrous
"-o cachefile=none" :)