[OpenIndiana-discuss] Zpool crashes system on reboot and import

Stephan Budach stephan.budach at jvm.de
Thu Dec 12 15:14:29 UTC 2013

Am 12.12.13 15:18, schrieb Jim Klimov:
> On 2013-12-12 14:38, Stephan Budach wrote:
>> So basically, I am still running with this work around of setting the
>> affected fs to read-only, before I export the zpool.
>> This server is under constant load and I just don't have the time and
>> resources to move all 370+ ZFS fs onto another storage.
>
> And how did you manage to set the read-only attribute the first time?
> Were there any problems or tricks involved? As CJ suggested, one
> wouldn't be able to do this on a pool imported read-only... did you
> import it without mounts indeed?
>
> //Jim

You surely can set the readonly attribute for a ZFS fs on a read-only
mounted zpool. Mounting the zpool readonly only seems to affect the
global setting. It seems to possible to change the ZFS FS attributes
without any issue. So the work around was…

zpool import -o ro zpool
zfs set readonly=on zpool/zfs
zpool export zpool
zpool import zpool
zfs set readonly=off zpool/zfs

This has always worked for me and it still does.

Cheers,
budy