[OpenIndiana-discuss] Zpool crashes system on reboot and import

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Thu Dec 12 16:06:59 UTC 2013

On 12/12/2013 16:14, Stephan Budach wrote:
> Am 12.12.13 15:18, schrieb Jim Klimov:
>> On 2013-12-12 14:38, Stephan Budach wrote:
>>> So basically, I am still running with this work around of setting the
>>> affected fs to read-only, before I export the zpool.
>>> This server is under constant load and I just don't have the time and
>>> resources to move all 370+ ZFS fs onto another storage.
>>
>> And how did you manage to set the read-only attribute the first time?
>> Were there any problems or tricks involved? As CJ suggested, one
>> wouldn't be able to do this on a pool imported read-only... did you
>> import it without mounts indeed?
>>
>> //Jim
>>
> You surely can set the readonly attribute for a ZFS fs on a read-only
> mounted zpool. Mounting the zpool readonly only seems to affect the
> global setting. It seems to possible to change the ZFS FS attributes
> without any issue. So the work around was…
>
> zpool import -o ro zpool
> zfs set readonly=on zpool/zfs
> zpool export zpool
> zpool import zpool
> zfs set readonly=off zpool/zfs
>
> This has always worked for me and it still does.

Would be interesting to know under which cicumstances this problem
appears. I saw from one of the crash dumps that there was a scrub
active, could it be that this happens on servers which go down with
an active scrub on that pool and fail to reactivate the scrub then ?
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski    Inst.f.Meteorology a.Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php