[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster Packagemanager

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Dec 16 07:03:45 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-14 21:56, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> IPS GUI was removed from upstream IPS repository.
> As I know, there were significant problems with building fresh
> package-manager and update-manager on OI:
> they had dependenices on newer Gnome features which are missing in OI.
> So, we made a decision to drop them.
> package-manager and update-manager packages in /hipster are obsolete now.
>
> If someone really needs IPS GUI I'd look at PackageKit integration
> rather than on original IPS GUI revival.

Given the assumption that the GUI is not coming back as part of
upstream, those interested in the GUI should probably try some
other means. There are several ways to go:

1) Look at alternative GUIs, maybe they work well and/or better
than original (i.e. if they can manage different package formats
and repositories as well, like SVR4 or pkgsrc). At least, make a
page on OI Wiki to outline and compare all the known alternatives.

2) See if the latest packagemanager GUI can be used "as-is" or
easily updated to work with current pkg implementation.

3) Look at what Oracle might have up the sleeve, if anything (and
if publicly freely licensed), to replace the GUI which they have
obsoleted in the upstream.

"Whining" does help, but only to an extent - to estimate the scale
of the problem, and that this lack of GUI does bother someone ;)

Perhaps, also, the interested parties should file a bug in the
issue tracker to cover the research, requirements discussion and
wiki-documentation of some package management GUI options and
ultimately inclusion of one into next OI releases.

HTH,
//Jim Klimov