[OpenIndiana-discuss] real-time syncing two directories across servers (unison ?)

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 16:55:40 UTC 2013

On 12/11/2013 07:33 PM, Geoff Nordli wrote:
> Any ideas on real-time (or near real-time) syncing a folder structure
> between two servers at different sites.
>
> I am thinking multi-master so people can write to both servers.
>
> Folders on both servers are going to be shared out via CIFS.
>
> I am not too concerned about conflict or conflict resolution.
>
> Unison is in the OI package repository.  If people are using Unison then
> how are they monitoring the file system for changes
>
> Just as a note something like http://www.bittorrent.com/sync looks
> pretty slick.
>
> Any thoughts?

Thanks for that link, for starters. Personally I have mostly good
experiences with unison, it might be less convenient in your case
because it isn't real time though; you might run it through cron every
15 minutes in automatic mode (synchronize everything that doesn't
conflict).

A better idea (but one I haven't tested myself yet) could be git-annex.

--
No part of this copyright message may be reproduced, read or seen,
dead or alive or by any means, including but not limited to telepathy