[OpenIndiana-discuss] Offtopic question to old SPARC users

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Sun Dec 29 11:42:08 UTC 2013

I think I got it mixed up; There actually was an earlier similar-purpose
PROM that could have it's battery health "measured" by shorting some
pins, and gradually lowering the external Vcc.

You measured the voltage at some other pin and the change in that
voltage started lagging behind the change in Vcc at a voltage that was
related to the battery voltage. In those days, that PROM was a rather
expensive part. That was probably so long ago it might have been an
Ericsson support computer for remote-location phone station service
calls rather than a Sun box, and it might have been a war story from
before my employment at Ericsson.

I think NOT providing a way to measure the battery health in situ was a
bad design decision.