[OpenIndiana-discuss] i7 cpu that accepts ECC Ram

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 16:38:10 UTC 2013

On 02/01/2013 05:23 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Do server platforms generally not have graphics or is it just inserted
> into a slot somewhere?  or what?

"Sadly" nowadays they do. I put sadly in quotes, because for some OSes
having a graphics card in the machine is actually required to even be
installable (*ahem* Windows). Old-school servers (read: SPARC boxes,
mainframes, etc.) only had a serial port to which you either hooked up a
serial terminal, or another machine via a null-modem cable (e.g. laptop
with serial port, sometimes emulated by a USB-serial dongle).

I still prefer this method of controlling my machines, as it allows me
to easily cut-n-paste from the console and redirect it to a different
server (in case you don't have an integrated system controller).

Cheers,
--
Saso