[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installation on HD => 2TB

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat Feb 2 03:47:20 UTC 2013

Well, I'm still puzzled why OI installer and/or gparted won't show you
any info about the drive, however, your screenshot does tell a story:

It seems the disk is laid out in MBR partitioning after all, however,
it has all 4 primary partitions assigned (including one that holds the
extended partition /dev/sda2 and a further extended /dev/sda5 in it).

Since /dev/sda2 is as small as /dev/sda5 and only addresses the end
of your disk, there are no more possible partitions to address the
900Gb you left for future.

The solution in your case might be to extend or recreate /dev/sda2
to cover the whole space after the first 3 partitions. I am not sure
however if OI/Solaris SMI label can reside in an extended partition
or if it requires one of the primary ones.