[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installation on HD => 2TB

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat Feb 2 14:17:47 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-02 10:59, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> On 02/ 2/13 04:47 AM, Jim Klimov wrote:
>> Well, I'm still puzzled why OI installer and/or gparted won't show you
>> any info about the drive ....
>
> This message is what he sent me a while ago:
> Jan 29 05:07:08 openindiana    disk has 3907029168 blocks,
> which is too large for a 32-bit kernel

Hm... makes sense... and there were discussions in the past on how
to try and enforce a 64-bit kernel/userspace for the installer.
Should in fact happen automatically (with $ISADIR in GRUB menu)
but may fail due to misdetection on some hardware and other
circumstances. Namely - did not fail for me when I was using an
OI livecd to add a 3Tb HDD to a pool of an older (SXCE) server
which did not fully see the disk "natively" - but agreed to use
the GPT partitioning which I imposed with OI.

I believe, the trick is to edit the GRUB menu during boot (press
"e") and modify the kernel and module lines to replace $ISADIR
with explicit "amd64", then press "b" to load this configuration.

If this workaround is needed after installation, it may IMHO be
regarded as a bug, but easily mended by editing the GRUB menu file
in /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst in a similar fashion (probably best
is to clone the existing entries, to leave ones with autodetection
for reference and to use ones with explicit 64-bitness).

HTH,
///Jim Klimov