[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI_151a7 install grumble

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 01:31:44 UTC 2013

--- On Thu, 1/31/13, Jim Klimov <jim at cos.ru> wrote:

> From: Jim Klimov <jim at cos.ru>
> Subject: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] OI_151a7 install grumble
> To: openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
> Date: Thursday, January 31, 2013, 4:49 PM
> On 2013-01-31 23:21, Reginald
> Beardsley wrote:
> > After beating my head against the wall for almost 8
> hours I finally gave up and installed Solaris 10 U8.
> Clunky installer, but it did what I wanted w/o any fuss on
> the first try.  Wish I'd quit fighting sooner.
>
> I'm rather sad to hear this, hoped I could help by remote
> advice...
>
> Possibly, now that you have a workable disk layout, you
> could make
> another installation (of OI on another disk) and "zfs
> send|zfs recv"
> it into the rpool created by Sol10? ;)

This raises a good question.  Can one send/recv between instances running different versions of zfs?  I'm guessing that one would not be able to send a filesystem from OI_151a7 to Solaris 10 U8.

This may have profound implications for how I manage my infrastructure.  There was a rather murky conversation a while back about sending snapshots and storing them as files on the remote host which some criticized.  However, if one were storing backups from Solaris 10 on OI, I'm thinking you'd have to do it that way or you wouldn't be able to restore.

I'm still agog at how much time I wasted on this.

The Solaris 10 interactive installer apparently has the same problem.  But at least the menu warns you to use the text installer if you want ZFS root.  Perhaps someone could add an option on the LiveCD to use the text installer if the user wanted to use a small mirrored rpool and a large RAIDZ pool.  I'd log a bug, but I'm afraid it would just become a rant.

BTW I started a wiki page on how to install OI on a small NAS.  Would someone w/ privileges please move it to xTrash?  It won't let me do that even though I created the page.  And I can't find my way around Confluence to find out how to contact someone through that.

Have Fun!
Reg