[OpenIndiana-discuss] New Zone User Questions

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 18:45:57 UTC 2013

On 02/04/2013 07:31 PM, DormitionSkete at hotmail.com wrote:
> Oh, and a little off topic here, but some of you all didn't appreciate my old habit of weekly reboots just to clear out the RAM, etc. a while back.

Please don't think that anybody here was dissing you or anything. It's
just that you had the wrong idea for why admins don't like to reboot
their machines very often. It's not because of some misguided dick
measuring contest, there are real issues with frequent rebooting.
Besides the obvious downtime, there are rippling network effects, such
as forcing reconvergence of distributed fault-tolerant systems, causing
long-term performance issues due to cold caches and plain old hardware
failure (on some systems hardware gets reinitialized and restarted at
reboot, which can considerably shorten its lifespan).

If these don't affect you, then great, but most environments won't
tolerate service disruption without very good justification.

Cheers,
--
Saso