[OpenIndiana-discuss] zfs pool on 3 TB Toshiba USB disk

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Feb 4 22:22:32 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-04 23:13, Reginald Beardsley wrote:
> Is there a way to get better diagnostics from update_drv?  I find it odd that the 4k sector Seagate drives all have the other sizes at 512 w/ phys at 4096, but sd0 is the opposite.  Phys is 512 and the others are 4k.  That's also what I get if I comment out the sd-config-list.  So it's being ignored for some reason.  Could the problem be the USB driver?

 From reports I've seen on the lists, problem might be in the USB
device (i.e. chip in the box that houses your HDD). Corners are
often cut with these, so they're not assumed to always be fully
compatible and implementing any industry spec - save for basic
protocol commands that Windows might use.

If your drive may be removed from its box without voiding warranty,
and if you have another box to plug it into (or directly into the
SATA port on a server) - you can test if it influences things.

//Jim