[OpenIndiana-discuss] zfs pool on 3 TB Toshiba USB disk

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 22:13:41 UTC 2013

--- On Mon, 2/4/13, Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> wrote:

> From: Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru>
> Subject: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] zfs pool on 3 TB Toshiba USB disk
> To: openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
> Date: Monday, February 4, 2013, 12:02 PM
> On 2013-02-04 18:35, Reginald
> Beardsley wrote:
> > I'm trying to get this working properly.  It
> functions, but I'm getting copy-modify-write messages.
> >
> > Here's my sd.conf and sections of console log.
> > Can anyone suggest what's wrong?
>
> > sd-config-list=
> >     "Toshiba External USB 3.0"
> ,"physical-block-size:4096"
> > ;
>
> I am not sure if it is a proper device-matching string.
> To start with, most of those I've seen were in CAPS
> letters...
>
> See here for examples of "iostat -Er" outputs that can help
> you
> detect your device's name (as sd.conf might expect to see
> it):
>
> http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/ZFS+and+Advanced+Format+disks

I see you updated the wiki.

I used the strings returned by the format->inquiry command, but it matches the results of "iostat -Er".  I've also tried forcing everything to upper case.  Is it whitespace sensitive?  That would be truly awful design.  It would really require having a program to generate the string given the sources of the string.

Can Dtrace tell anything about the strings for which comparisons are made?  I've never tried to use it, but this seems like a good application for it.

Is there a way to get better diagnostics from update_drv?  I find it odd that the 4k sector Seagate drives all have the other sizes at 512 w/ phys at 4096, but sd0 is the opposite.  Phys is 512 and the others are 4k.  That's also what I get if I comment out the sd-config-list.  So it's being ignored for some reason.  Could the problem be the USB driver?

Thanks,
Reg