[OpenIndiana-discuss] New Zone User Questions

DormitionSkete@hotmail.com dormitionskete at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 5 09:34:11 UTC 2013

On Feb 5, 2013, at 2:10 AM, Andrej Javoršek wrote:

> Now you are moving from complex to "mind bogging complex"   :)
> But yes with OI you can create network (datacenter) in a box (switches,
> routers, servers):
> http://www.c0t0d0s0.org/permalink/Upcoming-Solaris-Features-Crossbow-Virtualisation.html
>
> Regards
> Andrej

Well, I just laid down to go to sleep, and it just clicked.  Is this what Ian means, to have a zone for our MySql, one for Apache, one for Tomcat, one for email, etc. ?  And using port forwarding to go to the appropriate zone?

And I'm not sure I understand your comment about the Crossbow-Virtualisation -- yes, that'd be much more complex. But is what I said about hooking up additional hardware routers to do the port forwarding something that would work and would fall within the realm of reasonably accepted practices?

And you all don't normally do the Crossbow Virtualization, right?

I *think* I just made a leap in my head about all this stuff.

It certainly would be easier to make zones for each of these services, rather than complex ones with many of them.  It kind of goes along with what we programmers do, breaking tasks down into small classes, etc.

Guidance, please?