[OpenIndiana-discuss] weird packet garbling problem

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Wed Feb 6 12:22:01 UTC 2013

> From: Roel_D [mailto:openindiana at out-side.nl]
>
> I use ASA5505's always. I never had this problem with solaris 10&11, but
> those run on sun hardware.
> I also have solaris 10 on an old HP DL340 with bge's also without problem.
> And OI 1.57 on VMware also without the problems you describe.
> I use the cisco VPN windows client.

I'm thinking I'll need to dig into the exact revisions of IOS that are running, and stuff like that.  You don't happen to know yours offhand, do you?

> Is your cisco the defaultgateway for your servers?
> Otherwise i think OI sees a packet comming in from (for example)
> 172.18.12.12 which is your vpn ip-address, it then can't figure out where to
> reply to and the messages start bouncing around???

Oh, no.  If it were something that obvious, it would be totally broken and easy to find the problem.  Remember, I can connect to the OI machines, and all the other machines in the network.  Routing is not confused.  I can do any type of traffic to the non-OI machines, no problem, and I can even do certain types of traffic to/from the OI machines, without problem.  (I can type ssh commands ad nauseum, never have a problem because it's a single character at a time.)  The only problem is certain types of traffic, going to the OI machines.  (If I paste a command on the ssh prompt, sometimes it works, and sometimes the response packet on my laptop says "incoming packet garbled on decryption" or whatever.)