[OpenIndiana-discuss] solaris10 branded zones

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Feb 6 20:33:24 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-06 21:20, Roel_D wrote:
> If the old software/services running on the old solaris didn't rely on /usr or /etc installed software (like apache/mysql/java-based software) i would suggest to only copy the software directories in newly created zones.
>
> It could take more hours to hurdle all the OS mismatches then to copy the old software or its data and maybe recompile some legacy libraries.

I know, unfortunately, those were packaged commercial softwarez
which took days of tuning just to get running as wanted. While
reinstallation is an option, it is one they want to avoid as a
lengthy downtime, or take in small steps rather than wholesale
replacement of the system...

So far the zones are pouring into a sol10u8 VM (apparently, it
is the 10/09 release which was the base for solaris10 branded
zone integrated support, and also the one which is last free
from Sun).

We'll think later then - if they will continue in this VM or
just use it as a step to update the zones' OSes.

Thanks for tips,
//Jim